San Luis Valley Research Center
The first San Luis Valley Research Center was established in 1888 (the same year the main station at Fort Collins was established) on 200 acres of state land near the Rio Grande River, seven miles east of Del Norte. Beginning in 1940, the principal research activity was focused on selecting potato varieties adaptable to the region. In 1979 a potato breeding program was initiated to complement the selection activity. Research on cultural practices including disease and pest studies was also conducted. In the early 1920s, the Colorado Certified Seed Growers Association initiated a seed certification program located on the Colorado State University campus which was co‑located at the SLVRC in 1964. The research center has a continuing commitment to the people of the San Luis Valley (SLV) and the State of Colorado to provide research information, conduct extension education and seed certification programs.