Assistant Professor and State Extension Specialist – Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture
Colorado State University
San Luis Valley Research Center
0249 East Road 9 North
Center, CO 81125
Phone: 719-754-3594, ext. 13
- PhD. Plant and Soil Science, Alabama A & M University, 1999.
- M.S. Crop Production and Agricultural Ecosystems, University of Guelph, Canada, 1994.
- B.S. Agricultural Science (Major: Crop Science), University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 1989.
- Post Graduate Certificate, University Teaching, University of Guelph, Canada, 1993.
Current Position and Research Program:
Dr. Samuel Essah is the program leader for the Potato Management and Physiology program at the San Luis Valley Research Center.
The mission of the Colorado Potato Cultivar Management and Physiology program is to develop cultural management guidelines for the successful, sustainable and economic production of newly released and existing potato cultivars, as well as advanced potato selections that have the potential of being released, through field and laboratory research.
Information generated from Samuel’s program reveals management practices that are agronomically sound, economically advantageous, and environmentally responsible, while optimizing potato tuber yield and quality. When management guidelines are tailored for individual cultivars it leads to the successful, sustainable, and economic production of the cultivar, which results in the optimization of its genetic potential, while minimizing economic inputs and environmental degradation.
Samuel’s research enables him to work closely with growers and other potato industry personnel.
- Potato Association of America, 2000 – present
- European Potato Association, 2005 – present
- Africa Potato Association, 2010 – present
- Indian Potato Association (Life Member), 2005- present
- Regional Potato Research and Extension Committee, 2003 – present
- American Society for Horticultural Science, 2003 – present
- American Society of Agronomy, 1997 – present
- Crop Science Society of America, 1997 – present
- Global Potato News, 2000 – present
- Weed Science Society of America, 1997 – 2004
Office in Professional Societies:
- Director, Potato Association of America, 2013 – 2016
- Executive Committee Member, Potato Association of America, 2013 – 2016
- Director, Association of African Agricultural Professionals in the Diaspora
- Agronomic Service Award Committee, American Society of Agronomy, 2013 – 2015
- Vision Committee, Potato Association of America, 2011 – present
- Senior Editor, American Journal of Potato Research (Production and Management Section)
- Editorial Board, Australian Journal of Crop Science, 2011 – present
- Editorial Board, Journal of Agrotechnology, 2012 – present
- Editorial Board, Journal of Current Opinion in Agriculture, 2013
- Executive Editor, Indian Journal of Crop Science, 2006 – present
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Crop Research, 2005 – present
Return to SLVRC Personnel